Previously known as The Lavender Hour, The Duncan Trussell Family Hour has over 250 episodes to it's name and is hosted by american stand-up comedian Duncan Trussell. Each episode Duncan is joined by a special guest and they explore a diverse range of topics including art, society, politics, religion, culture and much more. The candid nature of the podcasts host combined with the fact that absolutely no topic is off limits produces entertaining, unique, and sometimes enlightening conversations. This is primarily a comedy podcast so the listener should be prepared for random bouts of ridiculousness that are spotted in between the serious conversation. You will laugh, you may cry, but you will definitely be exposed to a new and interesting idea or viewpoint.
Things I Like About The Podcast:
- Some of the episodes are down right hilarious and will have you laughing from start to finish.
- It explores subject matter that tends to be more on the spiritual side of the spectrum.
- It explores the philosophy of many different religions in an un-biased way.
- The introduction to each episode is unique, bold, and can be very enlightening.
- The ads are done in a fun way.
- Duncan invites guests onto his show that a lot of other podcasts may over look.
- No subject is off limits.
- Duncan has a unique way of looking at life which pushes his guests into areas of conversation that are interesting and unique.
- Duncan is extremely humble and does not let his ego get in the way of conversations.
Things That Aren't So Great About The Podcast:
- The comedy style of this podcast is very mature, extremely ridiculous and random, and tends to be on the dirtier side of the spectrum, which may not be for everyone.
- Some of the introductions can be a bit much and can go on for far to long.
- A lot of ranting and raving tends to happen and it can be hard to distinguish what is fact and what is fiction.
- Duncan, more often then not, will try and go for the laugh which can take away from the seriousness of the conversation sometimes.
- The podcast is not recorded in a studio so there can be a lot of background noise.
- Some of the guests can be a little over the top
- Can lean pretty hard towards the "Woo-Woo" mystical side of things
A Little About The Host:
Duncan Trussell is an american stand-up comedian, writer, and actor. He has written for shows that have appeared on various television networks including Showtime, HBO, and Comedy Central. Duncan has appeared on TV shows shuch as Curb your Enthusiasm and MadTV as well as doing voice over work for animated TV series such as Adventure Time and HBO's animated series Animals. Duncan has been very candid about his struggles with depression and is a very big advocate for the use of psychedelics as a healing tool for mental health. He is also a strong advocate for having some sort of spiritual practice in ones life. He subscribes to the teachings of Ram Dass and his guru Neem Karoli Baba. Duncan is a proud member of the burning man community.
Top 5 Recommended Guests:
- Dan Harmon
- Jack Kornfield
- Chris Ryan
- Daniele Bolelli
- Pendelton Ward